September 16, 2012
This week’s got a few themed sections, so take your pick and have at it:
On Education, Strikes, and the Chicago Teachers Union Strike:
- A thorough report on what’s happening, from Reuters.
- Chicago Teachers Go On Strike: A Background.
- How Michelle Rhee is Taking Over the Democratic Party.
- The History of Chicago Work Stoppages in Schools.
- The Hard Facts Behind the Dispute.
- Making a Job Worse is a Brilliant Strategy for Attracting Better Talent.
- Why Do People Hate Teachers Unions? Because They Hate Teachers.
- Why Do So Many Liberals Hate Teachers Unions?
- Who’s Hurting the Children?
- How Much Do Teacher Strikes Affect Students?
- Strike for America.
- There’s a Simple Solution to the Public Schools Crisis: Ban Private Schools.
- Nick Kristof Doesn’t Like Unions, Whether Teacher or News Paper.
- Can the Chicago Strike Fix Democratic Education Reform?
- So What if Teachers are in It for the Money?
On Higher Education:
- The Rise and Demise of the Neoliberal University.
- CUNY Administration Declares War on Rebel Faculty.
- Race and Gender in Higher Education – Who Gets Degrees?
- The Combustible Campus.
- Prison.edu: The Most Effective, Underfunded College System in the U.S.
- Against Humanities: The Self-Consciousness of the Corporate University.
More miscellaneous readings:
- Charles Tegart and the Forts That Tower Over Israel.
- Denied Entry.
- On Depression and Getting Help.
- An Open Letter to Wikipedia.
- We’re Not the Entitlement Generation.
- The Standardized No. 2 Pencil Test, on measuring beauty.
- Terry Jones and U.S. Foreign Policy.
- Benghazi was a Battle.
- Looks Like the U.S. Knew About the Katyn Massacre All Along.
- “Was the Arab Spring Really Worth It?” The Arrogance of Power.
- Fear of a Black President.
- Barack Obama: Jackie Robinson of Presidents.